Watch Out For Creepers
Creepers can be anywhere, hiding in your neighbourhood, around schools and out on the open roads. Creepers think you can't see them, but they're wrong. Creepers are easy to spot, and their actions impact everyone.
If you creep over the speed limit:
- There is less time to avoid an impending crash.
- You will need a greater distance to stop the vehicle in order to avoid a crash.
- You increase your chances of being involved in a crash.
If you are Creeping and involved in a road crash:
- You can seriously injury or possibly kill yourself or others involved in a road crash.
- Your body is subjected to greater physical force that will cause severe injury or possibly death.
- You may have to live with lifelong injuries.
- The protection that seatbelts and airbags are designed to provide is reduced.
Pedestrians and cyclists will almost certainly be severely injured if struck by a vehicle creeping over the speed limit.
How do you stop the spread of creepers?
It's simple - slow down, and you'll slow down creepers. You can help by being a responsible driver and always:
- observe the speed limit signs.
- consider the weather conditions and reduce your speed accordingly. Extreme weather such as strong wind, storm, dust, fog and ice make driving a hazardous task.
- adjust your driving speed to suit the type of road you are driving on - its surface, width and condition.
- consider the traffic conditions. Travelling at the maximum speed limit is risky during peak hours and when you are sharing the road with slow moving vehicles, including cyclists and motorcyclists.
- be alert for pedestrians, especially children and the elderly, who may behave unpredictably in the road environment.
- be aware of other road users, such as cyclists, whose safety on the road may be affected by drivers passing or overtaking them at high speed.
- drive at speeds that are safe for your own driving ability.
- consider the quality of life for residents that can be badly affected by cars and/or motorcycles speeding past their homes.