If you have been in a crash, it is important that you report it to Police within 24 hours. If your car is damaged, contact your car insurance company.
You can report certain crashes online instead of reporting the collision at a police station. While drivers are still required by law to report crashes involving death or injury to police within 90 minutes, other crashes may now be reported online, particularly those where no one has been injured and that involve less than $3,000 damage. To report a crash online and to understand the report criteria, visit www.reportacrash.police.sa.gov.au.
If you have any pain, discomfort or injuries you should seek medical advice. If the crash was not your fault or you are a child under the age of 16, you may be entitled to make a Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance claim for personal injury compensation. This can be done through contacting SA’s CTP claims manager, Allianz.
If you have been in a crash and deemed to be more than 25% responsible, you will be liable to pay an excess should someone lodge an injury claim against the crash.
You will need to comply with the legal claim notification requirements and complete an Approved Injury Claim Form, including a Prescribed Authority, provided by Allianz. The Injury Claim Form will require specific crash information and is designed to assist Allianz in making an early decision on your access to treatment.
Where Allianz obtains information using the Prescribed Authority, a copy of that information will be provided to you.
Once you have returned the completed Injury Claim Form and Prescribed Authority to Allianz, a claims consultant will contact you to discuss your claim.
MAC is committed to supporting early access to reasonable and necessary treatment to optimise your recovery from your injury, and providing a properly completed Approved Injury Claim Form and Prescribed Authority will assist MAC to achieve this goal.
How to make a claim
Step 1: Complete the Injury Claim Form including the Prescribed Authority using any of the following methods:
- Print an Injury Claim Form
- Complete the Injury Claim Form online
- Call Allianz SA CTP on 1300 137 331; or visit Allianz at 89 Pirie Street Adelaide 5000 to obtain an Approved Injury Claim Form
Step 2: Sign and lodge your claim
- Sign the completed Injury Claim Form including the Prescribed Authority
- Send the completed Injury Claim Form including the Prescribed Authortity back to Allianz by mail to Allianz Australia SA CTP, GPO Box 2198, Adelaide SA 5001; fax to 1300 137 431; or deliver to the Allianz CTP reception desk at 89 Pirie Street, Adelaide 5000
Step 3: A claims consultant will then contact you to discuss your claim
Making a Fatality Claim
Contact Allianz SA CTP on 1300 137 331, or visit them at 89 Pirie Street Adelaide 5000 to discuss the process to make a fatality claim. The Fatality Claim Form can also be downloaded here.
Things you should know
If you have been injured in a crash and are eligible to make a CTP claim, your claim may be reduced if you:
- Were not wearing a seatbelt
- Were not wearing a helmet while riding a motorbike, scooter or bicycle
- Were riding in the back of a van or ute
- Were deemed to have contributed to the crash
- Your driver had consumed alcohol or drugs
Instances also exist where you will not be entitled to make a claim (e.g. if the injury was caused as a result of your own negligence, hoon activity or illegal activity).
* Excluding children under 16 at the time of crash if the crash occurred in SA.