Cyclists are vulnerable road users because they’re not surrounded by the protection of a vehicle. Cyclists are more susceptible to the possibility of serious injury or death in the event of a crash. In the interest of road safety, it’s important that all road users share the road safely.
Cycling fatalities increased sharply in 2018 with 7 cyclists killed, compared to 2 in 2017. Serious injuries also increased, from 41 serious injuries in 2017 to 49 serious injuries in 2018.
- Avoid weaving in and out of parked cars.
- Use clear hand signals when making a turn.
- Make eye contact with motorists to gage if they’re aware of your presence.
- Set your front and rear bike lights to flash.
- Add extra lights on your helmet, clothing or backpack.
- Wear reflectors strips on your clothes and backpack.