Cyclists are vulnerable road users because they’re not surrounded by the protection of a vehicle. Cyclists are more susceptible to the possibility of serious injury or death in the event of a crash. In the interest of road safety, it’s important that all road users share the road safely.
Cycling fatalities increased sharply in 2018 with 7 cyclists killed, compared to 2 in 2017. Serious injuries also increased, from 41 serious injuries in 2017 to 49 serious injuries in 2018.
- Avoid weaving in and out of parked cars.
- Use clear hand signals when making a turn.
- Make eye contact with motorists to gage if they’re aware of your presence.
- Set your front and rear bike lights to flash.
- Add extra lights on your helmet, clothing or backpack.
- Wear reflectors strips on your clothes and backpack.
Happy ‘Talk Like Shakespeare Day.’
‘To brake or not to brake’ when approaching an amber light? Thee must not enter the intersection unless thee is unable to stop safely without entering, or risking a...